Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Thailand's Finest


Okay, I must admit it. I’m a bit of a massage snob. I’ve been spoiled, you see. Several times when traveling through Southeast Asia for work, I’ve gotten up early in the morning or squeezed in an hour late at night to get a Thai massage. On vacation in Thailand six years back, my friend and I also indulged in every opportunity -- at the Thai massage school at Wat Pho in Bangkok, the oldest and largest religious temple in Thailand...at the waterfront resort where we stayed on Ko Lanta (our splurge!)...in Chiang Mai in between bargaining at the night market... and even at a few places near Angor Wat in Siem Reap, Cambodia. While I’m always happy with a standard Swedish massage, there is something more physical and fulfilling about a Thai massage given by an experienced masseuse. The pulling and stretching always leaves me feeling on top of this world. My husband jokes that I can find a spa no matter where in the world I’m traveling – and this is partially true. But what better way to truly experience a culture? I feel a bit more Thai because of it!

No comments: