Pages

Friday, June 8, 2007

And While I'm Thinking About South Africa


A few months back I had the chance to visit South Africa -- 5 days of conference drudgery in a drab Jo'burg hotel was completely forgotten after my weekend visit to Franschhoek. It started with a quick flight down to Cape Town and then a 45 minute, breathtaking drive through wine country. Around every turn was a sweeping golden valley framed by blue sky. I arrived at my host's beautiful guest house complete with swimming pool and mountain views and was whisked off to lunch at Reuben's, a restaurant with a lovely garden setting which of course, offers up delightful local wines. Later that night, we sat out on my friend's patio with a few friends doing more eating and drinking. I was so taken by the unspoiled nature of the place -- despite the American real estate agents who moved there from NYC a few years back -- that I came home armed with brochures for my husband...convinced we must buy a place there. Nothing's happened yet...but we are definitely going back this winter.
 

No comments: