Pages

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Back in the Other World


I'm back...in the other world. The world of learning, intellectual exploration and discovery. Last year, at the "ripe" old age of 40 (a term I now associate with conflict resolution!), while consulting, traveling internationally for work and raising a three-year-old, I decided to go back to graduate school. I found an interesting, culturally-diverse professional master's program at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy in Massachusetts. It allowed me to continue working, sacrifice all of my personal time -- and emerge a year later feeling intellectually invigorated. I'll soon have a diploma in hand. This morning, my colleague from Mozambique, reminded me what the GMAP program is all about as he defended his thesis on the conflict in Northern Uganda. It was a thoughtful, well-prepared defense and he was unflappable. One of our professors called in from Greece. At my sides were colleagues from Indonesia, the U.K., Thailand and wide points across the U.S. I'm already reminded after being here just a few hours of the great benefits this program has afforded me and the way I now look at the world's problems and challenges.

No comments: