Pages

Thursday, February 7, 2008

The Year of the Rat




It's an odd juxtaposition here in Bangkok of the lunar new year celebrations and this week's Super Tuesday primaries in over 20 states. Ushering in the Year of the Rat during a presidential election year somehow seems fitting. But I digress. I seem to have lost track of Day 2, 3 and 4 here in Bangkok, a blur of taxi rides, work presentations, the smell of incense, the warmth of the Thai people and too much food. After work yesterday, we popped into a car provided by the silk shop to head down towards the Oriental for my final fitting of my red silk pant suit. Nearly perfect. Just next door is the Oriental, that quintessential symbol of Thai service, where we happened upon a dragon winding its way through the lobby, blessing people with good luck and the occasional clementine which was dropped out of the large hairy head. Sitting riverside sipping a fruity cocktail and dining on seabass in spicy curry sauce rounded out the evening as boats skimmed past us on the river, including the occasional one brightly lit with a banner in honor of the King.

P.S. Here's a great site I just stumbled upon: www.chicasia.com.

1 comment:

Prêt à Voyager said...

You're in Bangkok!?!?! How exciting! I bought my ticket to go in May. You must take notes for me and report back. Have a blast!

Anne