Pages

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Who Needs Italy?


Allow me to let you in on a little secret – Istria. Or perhaps I shouldn’t do so in the event that it is overtaken by gawking tourists, as this place deserves a special kind of traveler. One who can appreciate fine wines. Good, strong olive oil. Homemade pasta with truffles. Fresh air and beautiful sunsets. Oh, did I mention that this is not a part of Italy – but of Croatia? But don’t let the Croatian map fool you as the village names are in Italian and Croatian and it’s much more fun to converse with your hosts in Italian. (Yes, it was once part of Italy). The old stone houses here are much below market price of what one finds in Tuscany, which may be why many British are supposedly buying up property. However, I think you might still just find that special little village, with old men sitting at dusk sipping espresso and colorful flowers adorning window sills. I did.

No comments: